Sunday, February 21, 2010

IT’S ALL GREEK TO ME

Friday night was supposed to be dinner and a movie with DBF however, it turned out to be just dinner.  By the time we were done with supper it was too late to make it to the show.  There aren’t a whole lot of restaurant choices in Dartmouth unless you want to try one of the chain restaurants like Montana's or Jack Astors and they aren’t really my thing.

I was excited when It’s All Greek To Me opened in Russell Lake last fall since Greek food is one of my favorites. We tried once to go but it was too busy so we made reservations this time. 

On the menu for me

  • Spanikopita
  • Chicken Souvlaki with rice, roasted potatoes, Greek salad and Tzatziki on the side.
  • Dessert was Baklava

The spanikopita were fairly large, but didn’t have much flavor.  I think I detected a  hint of cinnamon or nutmeg in a couple of bites but for the most part bland.  Which is pretty much the same for the rest of the meal…. bland.  The rice was just plain white rice that seemed to be tossed/coated with oil.  I think the roasted potatoes were steamed and then put under the broiler as they were burnt on the edges.  Far from “roasted”.  I was even unimpressed with the tzatziki, again no flavor.  So after all that I still had high hopes for dessert.  I mean Baklava at a Greek restaurant I thought it had to be good.  Not so much.  It was OK, but that’s it just OK.

On the menu for DBF

  • Souzoukakia Saganaki – Seasoned beef patties in a spicy tomato sauce topped with feta.
  • 12 oz striploin served with the same roasted potatoes and rice

He said the Souzoukakia was really good.  The sauce was a light tomato sauce that wasn’t too spicy.  He wasn’t overly impressed with the steak though and said we do a better job at home.

I wish I would have taken pictures but of course I didn’t have a camera with me and it was really dark in there so I don’t think they would have been very good anyway.

Maybe it was just an off night for them but I don’t think I will be going back any time soon.

1 comment:

farm girl. said...

Have you tried Opa? I prefer the one downtown (Argyle & Blowers, i think) but they're both good (Bayers Lake)

MMM. love the tzatziki