Monday, July 26, 2010

Brown Rice ‘n’ Beans Jumble-aya

Happy Monday folks!!!  Hope your week has started off on the right foot.  Only 4 days till the weekend.  Can’t wait.
Today marked day 2 of Lynn's yoga challenge.  I broke out one of the other three Yoga for the Rest of Us  DVD’s and did 45 mins of it.  I really did feel good afterwards.  The tension that I was holding in my neck and shoulders relaxed and my headache disappeared.  There may just be something to this Yoga stuff.
I was late getting home and had no idea what I was going to make for supper.  So I stood staring blankly into the fridge and freezer to no avail.  then I remembered I bought Eat Drink and be Vegan a couple of weeks ago and have tried a couple of the dessert recipes which were very tasty so I thought I would try a main dish.  My version wasn’t technically vegan though.
BROWN RICE ‘N’ BEANS JUMBLE-AYA
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion, diced
1 cup each celery and peppers, diced
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp paprika
3/4 – 1 tsp sea salt
2 – 3 pinches cayenne pepper, black pepper to taste
1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire  sauce
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes ( I used 1 14 oz can)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup vegetable stock ( I used chicken stock)
1 cup long or short grain brown rice
2 bay leaves
1 14 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Top with green onions and fresh parsley (optional)
           IMG_0976
In a large pot combine olive oil, onions, celery, peppers, garlic, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt, and black pepper.  Cover and cook for 5 -  7 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and simmer 40-45 mins or until rice is cooked.  Add more liquid if after that time your rice isn’t done.  Mine wasn’t so I added maybe 1/2  - 3/4 cup more broth and simmered some more.  Once all the liquid is gone turn off heat and let sit for 5 mins.
I topped mine with some grated light old cheddar and since the boy was eating this I cooked up some boneless skinless chicken breasts to go with his. 
              IMG_0974 
The battery in my cameral died as I was taking my pics so this is all there is to show.
It was a tasty dish.  One that I would compare to a chili.  Hubby liked it too.  As always that’s a bonus.
Well time for bed.  I’m planning on taking my first hot yoga class tomorrow.  Hopefully I wont chicken out and hopefully it won’t be full that I can’t get in.
Have  you ever tried hot yoga?  What are your thoughts on it, love it or hate it?
Night all
~~Jackie

1 comment:

ElleBee said...

Good luck with hot yoga, can't wait to hear all about it! :)