Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Energy Drinks and Frozen Dinners

It’s me again… are shocked??? I bet you didn’t think I’d be back for a 4th day in a row.
My eats were pretty standard so no pics today.  Green smoothie to start the day, overnight oats for mid morning snack.  Lunch was a bucket of salad and a left over chicken breast.  For supper I had some ground chicken in the fridge so I mixed up some chicken burgers.  I have never been overly fond of chicken/turkey burgers but every now and then I try another combination hoping something might WOW me.  Sadly this combo didn’t do it.  Ground chicken, Montreal steak spice, chopped up cheddar, sautéed red onion, and sweet chili sauce.  They smelled great while they were cooking but sadly the taste was just ok.
Do  you have a favorite chicken burger combo?
I did however take pictures of one of my co-workers lunches.  You guess it, a frozen dinner. 
              IMG00050-20100714-1328
Then I flipped it over to look at the nutritional information.  Let’s just say it was SCARY
              IMG00051-20100714-1328
That is 780 calories, 29 g fat, 1920 mg sodium, 72 g sugar, and 5 g fiber.
Oh, and the ingredients list was even scarier.  Hydrolyzed this and diglycerides that. 
          IMG00054-20100714-1330
Not to mention the length of the list.  At least the corn only contained corn.
This food should be outlawed.  We wonder why there are so many health issues today.  Our bodies were just not made to deal with all this artificial crap.
This same person drinks these every day.  Actually most of the men in the office drink these all day.
              MonsterEnergyDrinks
I probably sound like a nagging wife when I go on about how horrible these things are and I know what I say is going in one ear and out the other but I can’t help myself.   I read an article last week that said one of these contains the sugar equivalent to 6 or 7 Krispy Cream glazed donuts. The caffeine content is another thing 160 mg in a 16 oz can.   According to Wikipedia that isn’t as much as a cup of coffee (8 oz cup = 115 to 175 mg), but still.   Adults drinking these things like they are water is one thing, but the kids that are now addicted to them is just sad. 
What do you think of these drinks?  Have you ever used them to give you a little pick me up?
Well time to get my overnight oats together.  Night all
~~Jackie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, do not get me started on those Hungry Man meals. My hubby used to eat them on a daily basis until I read the NI and refused to buy them. SOOO horrible, I don't understand how they can legally be sold. Heart attacks in a package.