Monday, August 16, 2010

Chicken Burgers and Wine in a Can

Happy Monday everyone.  It’s a happy Monday for me because I am on VACATION this week!!!! 
This weekend was fairly uneventful.  Saturday was filled with household chores, I think I did 50 loads of laundry.  I have no idea how two people can go through so many clothes.  Sunday was the usual trip in town to visit the parents, with a quick trip to Dartmouth Crossing to spend some money (my favorite past time).  Then home to relax on the deck with a book. 
Here’s a look at some of my eats over the weekend.
I wanted a salad for lunch but was feeling the need for some extra protein, and tuna was the protein of choice. I had some black beans and pasta in the fridge, added some red onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon juice a pinch of cayenne to give it a kick and the secret ingredient Tzatziki.  I tried this once in an attempt to decrease the calories and I like it much better than mayo.  It’s much lighter tasting, not thick and heavy like with mayo.  Served on a bed of mixed greens.  It was very good, if I do say so myself.
         IMG_1082
        IMG_1083
I made a quick trip to the grocery store and they had Lean Ground Chicken on sale so I thought I would give chicken burgers another try.  I’ve made chicken/turkey burgers many times but just didn’t find they ever had enough flavor for me.
       IMG_1086
In the mix
Extra lean ground chicken, salt, Pepper, squirt of lemon juice, garlic powder, a little EVOO, feta cheese and some fresh oregano, and parsley that I have growing on the deck.  Nothing better than fresh herbs.
     IMG_0935 
Ready for the BBQ.           IMG_1087
      Finished product        IMG_1089 I rarely have hamburger buns in the house so I schmeared some Tzatziki on a tortilla added some greens, red onions, and tomato slices.  This attempt had much more flavor than previous attempts but could still use a little tweaking. 
Hubby and I were visiting the NSLC a couple of weeks ago and they had these cans at the check out, and low and behold it was wine.  Yes that’s right wine in a can classy, I know but I had to give it a try.
IMG_1093
IMG_0971This was a Merlot but they also had Shiraz.  I was pleasantly surprised, it was much better than I expected.  Sometimes I just want a glass of wine but don’t want to open a bottle, so this would be good for that. Not too mention easy to take to an outdoor party, campfire etc. 
Since this post is turning out to be longer than I planned I’ll cut it off now.  Maybe I’ll do two posts tomorrow.  I am on vacation after all so I should be able to find the time.
Cheers
~~~Jackie

No comments: