Monday, September 3, 2012

Are Chocolate and Avocado Really BFF's?


Chocolate and avocado are not a new combination in the blog world.  I'm sure you've all seen the pudding, cake, and cupcakes, but to be honest the thought of adding avocado to my yummy baked goods kind of freaked me out.  I was skeptical to say the least.  That was until I tried this recipe Marie posted on her blog over at Marie Tower Nutrition.  Marie hasn't steered me wrong yet so I had to give them a try.

I made three slight modifications to the recipe.  One I wanted to see how they would work using a gluten free flour mix, two I was running out of maple syrup so I didn't use as much and three I read if you add a little apple sauce, pumpkin or something with pectin in place of some of the fat it would help bind things together with the GF flours.

Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes (Gluten Free)

1 1/2  cups gluten free flour mix (or AP flour. Spelt would probably work good too)
3/4 cup coco or cacao powder
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 large avocado pitted and peeled
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup olive oil (I subbed approx 1/8 cup unsweetened apple sauce for some of the oil)
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven 350

Line 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.  Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  Combine wet ingredients, including avocado in your blender and blend until creamy.  Add avocado mixture to dry ingredients and mix till well combined.  This batter is very thick a large ice cream scoop would be perfect to use to put the batter in the muffin cups.

Bake for 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs attached.  Let cool (if you can wait that long) and enjoy!


They were velvety smooth, yummy and held together really well. The next time I make them I'll be adding in some dark chocolate for a little extra chocolaty goodness.



If you would like to try the GF flour mix here it is. I've used it in muffins, and brownies too all with great results.

2 cups sorghum flour
2 cups potato starch (not flour)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 tbsp xantham gum (or guar gum)

Mix together and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for longer shelf life.

Enjoy your Labour day holiday!!

~~ Jackie






No comments: