Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Dijon Apple Pork Chops

Wow it’s October already.  Where does the time go?  Before we know it we’ll be running through the stores scrambling to buy those last minute Christmas gifts.
Before I start thinking about Christmas shopping, let’s rewind to September for just a minute.  I shared a few of my goals for September.:
  1. Walk at least 30 minutes 5 days per week.   This was a success.
  2. Complete and submit tests/assignments for 2 modules in RHN course.  Almost a success.  I completed both tests/assignments but had some computer issues uploading them so they haven’t been submitted yet.
  3. 3 Day Smoothie Detox. Completed with a slight modification (2 days of smoothies, 1 day break, then smoothies for a final day).  Hubby had a day off, which is VERY rare so we spent the day out and what’s a day out without some yummy food. I really didn’t think I could do smoothies for one day let alone three but it was easier than I thought. The right combinations of ingredients made me feel full and gave me energy throughout the day.  I don’t know if I could do cold smoothies during the winter but a great idea for the summer or even spring and fall.
Here are October’s goals.
  1. Organize and purge kitchen cupboards
  2. Focus on meal planning  (I normally fail miserably here.  I can start cooking one thing and by the time I’m ready to eat, it’s a completely different meal)
  3. Make fewer trips, and spend less at the grocery store.  Also use what I have in the house and stop wasting food.
The fall weather has found us here on the East Coast and since there has been a definite chill in the air I thought some comfort food was in order last night.

Dijon Apple Pork Chops and Roasted Potatoes
1 – 2 medium apples roughly chopped (I used honey crisp)
½ red onion chopped
¾ cup chicken broth (or water, or unsweetened apple juice)
1 -2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 lbs bone in pork chops
Salt & Pepper
EVOO
Preheat oven to 375
Sauté onion till translucent. While onions are cooking sprinkle chops with salt and pepper and bring to room temperature. When onions are cooked remove from pan. Add chops and sauté. When they are browned (not cooked) remove from pan to a baking dish.
Mix broth, mustard, brown sugar and cinnamon together and add to hot pan along with onions. Simmer for a couple minutes making sure to scrape up the flavour bits left behind by the pork chops.
Pour over chops, cover with foil and bake for approx. 30 mins or until internal temperature reaches 155 – 160.
IMG_0465
Roasted Potatoes
You probably don`t need a lesson on how to make roasted potatoes but I make these all the time so I thought I would share. Sometimes I roast in the oven at 400 or finish in a frying pan on the stove.
Yukon Gold Potatoes
EVOO
My usual spices of choice
Granulated garlic
Chilli powder
Paprika
Sea Salt, fresh cracked pepper
Cayenne
If roasting in the over, partially cook in the microwave. If cooking in a frying pan on the stove cook through but don’t overcook.
Mix spices and EVOO together in large bowl.
When potatoes are finished in the microwave chop and toss in bowl with EVOO and spice mixture. If they are still hot this will help them soak up the mixture.
If finishing in the oven line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake to golden brown.
For the frying pan – just add some EVOO to the pan and cook to a nice crispy crust has formed.
IMG_0467
The photos leave a lot to be desired.  The night lighting in my house is horrible for taking pics.  That`s one of the things on my to do list… some kind of photography course.

Have a great day!!
~~Jackie

No comments: