Sunday, February 3, 2013

Roasted Pumpkin Sage and Parmesan Pasta

 

It’s a winter wonderland outside today.  Last I checked they are calling for 20 – 40 cm’s of snow and or 20 – 40 mm or rain.  Either way it’s going to be a big mess.  Glad I’m cozied up at home with the fur kids.

pizap.com10.20451460266485811359908408019

I was planning on doing some cooking or baking today but I think it’s going to be mostly a study day.  I do have to make some dog food  so I guess you can count that as cooking.

I was looking through my pictures the other day and realized I hadn’t posted this recipe yet.  This was my second attempt at making my own pasta and my first attempt at Fettuccini.  I did run into a little bit of a problem, as the noodles were coming out of the pasta rollers…where and how was I going to dry the pasta.  I didn’t have anywhere to hang it so I frantically dug out some all of my cookie sheets and spreading the noodles out to dry.  It worked but was less than practical.  That problem has since been remedied.  My honey bought me the KA pasta drying rack for Christmas.  That should save some counter space.

KA pasta drying rack

 

Roasted Pumpkin Sage and Parmesan Pasta

  • 2 cups fresh fettuccini noodles
  • 1 small – med pumpkin roasted
  • 1 large shallot finely chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup pureed roasted pumpkin
  • 1/2 – 1 tsp dried sage
  • 1/4 fresh grated parmesan
  • 1/4 cup milk or cream
  • 2 tbsp pasta water
  • 2  - 3 slices pancetta (or bacon), cooked till crispy
  • fresh grated nutmeg or a pinch of already ground
  • salt and pepper

Cut pumpkin in half.  Scoop out seeds. Sprinkle with a little salt and pumpkin pie spice.  Roast until flesh is tender.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to directions.

Chop pancetta (bacon), and cook till crisp.  Remove from pan and drain off most of the fat.  If you don’t want to use some of the bacon fat you can drain it all off and use EVOO.  Add garlic and shallots to the pan and saute till soft.  Add pureed pumpkin, sage, salt, pepper, milk and 2 tbsp of the pasta cooking water.  Grate some fresh nutmeg in the pan.  Turn heat to low and warm through.

Add cooked pasta to the sauce and a little more pasta water if necessary.  Add parmesan stir till combined.  Top with pancetta/bacon pieces, a bit more fresh grated parmesan and a little ground black pepper.

 

IMG_0536

 

 IMG_0531  IMG_0525  IMG_0535

When I made this I used between 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of sage but I thought it needed more so I increased the measurements.  I would suggest starting off with the smaller amount and go from there.  I’m not sure how this would taste with canned pumpkin.  I find canned pumpkin doesn’t work as well in savoury dishes so if you try it post a comment and let me know how it turned out.

Have a great Sunday!!  Enjoy the Superbowl if that’s your thing.  I’m off to get some studying done.  This weeks topic Optimum Nutrition for the Mind.

~ Jackie

No comments: