Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sun Dried Tomato Braised Chicken Thighs

 

Finally the blizzard  has ended, and at 9:00 pm the plow has finally showed up to plow us out.  Good thing, I was beginning to think I wouldn’t be able to park my car in the driveway till July.  It’s been a long time since I’ve had to walk through knee deep snow drifts, and when you’re boots are only ankle high that poses a little bit of a problem. 

I wish I would have gotten out to take some pictures but I was a wimp and didn’t want to brave the cold, snow and blowing snow. Here’s a couple I found though.  As you can see the storm surge caused a lot of damage for those close to the water.

nor easter 2013aNor Easter 2013snowstorm 2013

I had no plan for supper last night and of course I was missing ingredients for just about everything I could think of.  I ended up pulling some things out of the fridge/freezer and went with what I had on hand.  It turned out quite good if I do say so myself.  As usual I don’t measure when I’m cooking and go by taste most of the time, so you can use the measurements as guidelines and adjust to your taste. 

Sun Dried Tomato Braised Chicken Thighs

· 8 – 9 boneless skinless chicken thighs

· 1 bulb garlic, roasted

· 1/3 red onion chopped

· 1/3 – ½ cup sun dried tomatoes chopped

· 2 tbsp tomato paste

· 1 tsp Italian seasoning

· 1 tbsp lemon juice

· ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted (walnuts would work too)

· ½ bottle red wine

· 450 ml chicken broth

· EVOO

· Sea Salt & Pepper (I use Himalayan or Celtic Salt)

· ½ package of rotini

· Chopped fresh parsley and fresh grated parmesan

Preheat skillet add EVOO and sauté onions till soft and slightly caramelized. Remove from pan. Salt and pepper the chicken thighs, brown both sides. Add onions, roasted garlic, tomato paste, and sun dried tomatoes to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add wine, chicken broth and Italian seasoning,  cover and turn the pan down to simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes. Keep checking on the liquid you want it to reduce some but not evaporate, it will be the sauce for your pasta. If it reduces too much just add in some more wine and or broth.

While the chicken is cooking toast your pine nuts and cook your pasta. When the pasta is cooked drain but save ¼ -1/3 cup of the pasta cooking water and add it along with the pasta to the pan. Add your lemon juice and cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked thru.

Serve topped with your toasted pine nuts, parsley and parmesan.

(The ingredients I started with and went from there.  The rosemary never made it in the recipe)

IMG_0658

Sorry for the poor lighting the feline fur kids decided my light box made a great place for hide and seek so it needs a few repairs.

IMG_0662

I served mine with a mixed green salad and grilled polenta.  The polenta needs some work.  It was ok but could be better.
 
Have a good week !
 
~ Jackie
 
 
 

No comments: