Sunday, November 3, 2013

TURMERIC PACKS A HEALTH PUNCH

It’s been awhile.  I try to be a regular blogger but I just can’t seem to keep on a regular schedule.  You can still find me on Facebook though.

As someone who loves curry, I’m no stranger to Turmeric.  It is what gives curry its bright yellow/orange colour.  It is also used in mustards and my clothes, cutting board and fingers can attest to the fact that is makes a great dye.  I was introduced to the health benefits of Turmeric a few years ago when my Naturopath prescribed Curcumin as an anti-inflammatory for me.  Curcumin is the active ingredient in Turmeric and is a powerful anti-inflammatory that is comparable to pharmaceutical products but without the negative side effects.  As someone who took anti-inflammatories for 30 years and has suffered the negative side effects, I was very happy to give Curcumin a try and worked very well for me. 

Turmeric has been used for centuries to treat a number of things – colds and flu, digestive issues, wounds and bruises, skin problems like eczema and many more.  It has natural anti-bacterial properties, is a liver detoxifier and is a pain killer.  It is one of the most studied natural remedies.  One area where there is a great deal of research being done is in its anti-cancer properties, but that’s only one arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, and heart disease are a few others.

Up until about a month ago I had only used dried Turmeric.  I’ve looked for the fresh root for quite some time but haven’t had any luck, so I was thrilled when I found it.  It’s not the prettiest thing in the world but it tastes amazing.

1385457_10151925334130435_1788231814_n

I find the fresh root has a very different taste than the dried.  It’s related to ginger so you can taste a little of that, and it also has almost a peppery taste as well.  Fresh grated turmeric is now an everyday addition to our smoothies and Turmeric Milk (Tea) has become my favourite night time ritual.  I store my fresh ginger and turmeric in the freezer and grate it while it’s frozen.  It grates much easier when it’s frozen.

IMG_1143

TURMERIC MILK (TEA)

1 tbsp fresh grated turmeric

1/2 tbsp fresh grated ginger

1/8 tsp cinnamon

1 cup milk or milk alternative

maple syrup or honey to taste

Combine all ingredients in a pot on medium heat.  Heat gradually till warm.  You don’t want to boil the milk.  Pour into mug and enjoy.  You can pour it through a strainer if you like but I don’t bother.

* note these measurements are using the fresh roots that have been frozen and grated with a micro-plane grater, which results in a light and airy end product.  If you are not preparing it this way you will probably want to adjust the amounts but the same ratios should still work*.

IMG_1147

If you are having a hard time finding fresh Turmeric try Asian markets.  Locally In The Raw has just started carrying it so you can purchase it at the store in Porters Lake and at the Alderney Market.  I’m almost out so I can’t wait for my order to come in  I have a pound of it on the way!!

I have a few more blog posts in the works so here’s hoping I actually get around to writing them.

~~  Jackie

No comments: